Look how bad it is in India! OMG!

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Winston
Site Admin

Look how bad it is in India! OMG!

Post by Winston »

Check out what these expats told me about India! OMG! How can any place be this bad?
Hi Winston,

Yes, I'm afraid I would have to agree. India is an almost alien culture there where men and women never mingle in public (men hug and hold hands with men, women stay in groups), and even after 40 years of living there a foreigner won't be accepted into a community. There is a low percentage of attractive women, incredible pollution even in the 'pristine' Himalayas, extreme danger on the roads (no rule except "bigger vehicle has priority"). The only thing I liked about it was that it introduced me to water instead of paper as a butt-cleaning mechanism! Oh, and it is easy to be vegetarian (not vegan) in this 95% Hindu (vegetarian) culture.

Shit (literally) everywhere (literally) -- people shit in the open, spicy food (curry) 3X a day, every day, every tourist spot spoiled by crappy concrete "hotels" going up and garbage rivers streaming down mountainsides (no garbage collection there). Frequent stomach illness from food and water; scamming is rife, with even the National Bank of India (or whatever it was called -- the official one) attempting to rip us off when we changed money. Only got my money when I refused to leave.

All in all a shit-hole, I absolutely agree. To understand their mentality, look at the Ganges: Filled to the brim with rotting corpses and effluent, yet people wash, haul drinking water and brush teeth in there with dead bodies floating feet away. Not helped in the least by incredible overpopulation.

Due to their culture, very very very few Indian women are interested in meeting foreign men.

Summary: Great for a vacation exploring the unusual, but FORGET living there or finding a woman.
Hell No! This guy is living in his own fantasy world so he is only seeing and experiencing what he wants to believe in his own mind. I was in South East part of India so I can't vouch for other parts. But from what I saw it's basically Philippines but magnify the negatives 1000 times. I have absolutely no clue why foreigners rave and rant about India, I think its a complete shit hole and most of the people there are rude, fake or try to take advantage of you. Women are butt ugly and want nothing to do with a western male. You are constantly having to fight off being scammed so you can't trust whether someone is actually trying to be nice or screw you over.
I would only visit there again if you had enough money to stay away from the back packer lifestyle and cheap hotels. I wouldn't go back on a budget, there are far better countries to do that. Plus for all they say that Indians speak English, most do not and the ones that do you can barely understand them to begin with.

So yes, India would appeal to a certain type of person but trust me Winston, I think it's shit and you probably would too. I mean there are some cool things about it but you have to wade through the mud to see them. Plus pollution is so bad you can get sick there easily. I did and I am in pretty good shape, you wouldn't be able to handle it if you can't get through a summer in AC pollution. INDIA= I'll Never Do It Again!
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

have2fly
Junior Poster

Post by have2fly »

People told me that as well. Their food seems to be decent though, but as people they are very greedy and arrogant or so it seemed to be. Very stubborn, but lazy. They do, however, have some very pretty girls, but they could be selected for a TV, like they do in the U.S. (what you see on TV is nothing what you see everyday).
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out what my intellectual Indian friend had to say about the above trip reports:
There is some truth to what the guys r writing about India, but more is their own emotions clouding it. It is also due to their non understanding of the Indian culture and preset day social dynamics. There are many great things there that a person should know. Its also good to understand the dynamics amongst the various layers of society. Asia's richest people live in India World's third richest man just made a billion$ plus home in Mumbai. If it were so so bad, wouldn't he be living elsewhere? There is plenty of space to develop spiritually.
There is pollution n population. But so there is immense growth. There are people who can rip you off, and there are those who will go an extra mile to help you too. There are lot of things into play. Not many Indian women would want to marry an American, primarily due to two reasons: 1. unlike women from some other countries, they are not crazy to land up in America (though they would love to be there)
2. They consider an Indian marriage to be long lasting and don't think American or western males can give a stabile marriage. Also there are cultural differences.
Due to this reason a lot of Indian men living in America also opt for Indian women, who will be good wives, be more respectful towards their husbands and consider taking care of the house, husband and kids their solemn duty. The American woman on the other hand maybe a bit more raunchy, but will argue, whine, n nag your ass down and you can't have your way with her. She considers you as an equal partner and won't bow down before you.
Having said that Indian women are president's of the country, Prime ministers (Sec of State) are pilots, doctors engineers etc.. but they are not as dominating to their male counterparts which is a good thing.
There are plenty of things in the fields of art and culture, cinema, music, dance, business, IT, etc. Each year thousands of students from europe and america come to study various art forms including music and dance and get involved with "bollywood" the multi billion Indian cinema industry, which is second to Hollywood. Tons of people come to have herbal, message and other ayurvedic treatments to retreats, tons of them come for meditation retreats. There is a huge publication industry too. India manufactures most things that people use in the country. There is a good collaboration with people coming from abroad in corporate sector too and there's a good expat community living in India. Maybe the backpackers don't just have enough luck, as they interact with a different layer of the society.
There are many things that I can write in depth.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Everywhere I went, and I mean EVERYWHERE Indians were trying to con me out of my money, almost non-stop. I had to look like a grouch and non-communicative for them to attempt to leave me alone and not bother me. So this dissuaded me from wanting to interact in a normal fashion cause you can't tell who is truly trying to be nice and who is trying to screw you over. The only ones you can trust are affiliated with some place you already paid services for whether it is at a restaurant, hotel, taxi, tour guide, etc. Even museum employees were trying to do simple stupid things like pretend they are showing you something so you can give them money. IT was totally annoying and just made me want to be a recluse and A-hole.

Like i'm at a restaurant one time with a table all to myself and then these two guys just sit down and join in like its no big deal, WTF? I didn't know if that was a local custom just to sit with me at a table cause there weren't any other ones available or they were going to try to take advantage of me or rob me or try charging their food to my bill. Shit like that!

Why do you think most Indians want to get the hell out of the country? Like I said if you want a truly different cultural experience that has nothing to do with the West and its lifestyle and living conditions, fine go to India and enjoy. But if your not interested in the darker side of humanity and how backwards cultures can turn civilization into shit, then I wouldn't bother going there.

BTW, almost every married woman there is fat and over weight, hiding it in their Sari's. IF that is the idea of marriage bliss where the female has ZERO feminine attraction to a male unless he is blind, than I want nothing to do with it. Women that can't show off their bodies don't keep themselves in shape and look like shit for the most part, especially with the poor diet over in that country.

The country is only for hippie stoners who are out of touch with reality to begin with or deluded spiritual seekers who still think that they can find bliss somewhere in that country.

I can go on and on about my less than spectacular Indian experience but I'm sure people would rather not reading diatribes of complaining and bitching. Yeah there were some okay things but the negatives outweighed the positives so that equals bad trip and place in my book to visit or live...
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hmm. I wonder why so many Indian students want to return to India?

http://www.hindustantimes.com/92-Indian ... 70771.aspx

92% Indian students in US ready for future back in India

Nine in ten Indian students in the US who participated in the largest known and most comprehensive study yet of the community’s future plans are keen to return to India to pursue their careers.

As many as 84% of those planning to return to India are interested in jobs combining research and teaching, the study found, in findings with major implications for policy makers here grappling with a crippling faculty shortage. Most of them however said they would not accept a pure teaching job.

The study, conducted by researchers from the Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Pennsylvania State University and Rutgers University is the largest effort yet to look at diverse aspects of future plans of Indian students in the US and factors driving their decisions. The study was released in the US today.
“The high percentage of those open to returning and their interest in higher education careers presents a big opportunity for India,� TISS political science professor and study co-author Venkatesh Kumar told HT. Kumar’s co-author is David Finegold, Dean of the Rutgers School of Management and Labour Relations. The authors plan to make the study – the largest and most diverse they know of – an annual effort.

Out of 998 respondents who agreed to participate in the study, 76% said they were planning to return to India, were in the process of returning or had just returned. Another 16% said they would go wherever they received the best job, regardless of the location. Only 8% student respondents said they would definitely prefer to stay back in the US.

About half the respondents – 54% -- said they are keen to return to India but after working for a few years in the US. “Another key finding was the high fraction of students who said they wanted to give something back to Indian higher education,� said Kumar, currently a Herbert Humphrey Fellow at Pennsylvania State University.

The researchers used regression analysis to distinguish trends based on the qualification students were pursing, their academic stream, age, sex, marital status and presence of children. They also studied reasons why the students left India for American higher education.

The Indian Institutes of Technology, Indian Institutes of Management, central, state and deemed universities across India face a faculty crunch that has left the country with one of the world’s worst higher education student-teacher ratios in the world.

Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Well if I was a researcher with a different nationality I would probably want to go back to my home country too if I knew I could get funding. In America research is always tied into special interest groups, politics and corporate bias and often results aren't that legit anymore. If you look at alternative news sites that report the truth, a lot of research nowadays is questionable. Plus in America there is so much red tape and things are expensive why bother working in America anymore? Even if you make less money in India you will still be in a culture that you are more familiar with, will still be middle class or above, can hire domestic helpers to do basic household work for you, send your kids to exclusive private schools, etc. You can't do that in America unless you are quite wealthy. Plus in America you would be just another face, while in India if you actually do something worthwhile you might get famous over there.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is another perspective of India from a guy who lives there. Regarding this thread, he replied:
Sounds like they were looking for hte wrong thing in India. India is not the place where you go for material enjoyment. If you think you will go there and experience the same comforts of the West, you are terribly mistaken.Basically, the only people who will last long term in India are the people who go there for spiritual reasons. Spiritually, it is the most advanced country on earth. Materially, it's one of the least advanced countries. So if you are a materialistic person, you will hate it. If you are a spiritualist type of person, you will probably like it.

Enishi
Freshman Poster

Post by Enishi »

Some of the young Indian women I have meet are INCREDIBLY beautiful. But yeah, most of the ones over thirty are quite fat. It's the same with Persian/Arabic women.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Enishi wrote:Some of the young Indian women I have meet are INCREDIBLY beautiful. But yeah, most of the ones over thirty are quite fat. It's the same with Persian/Arabic women.
Those are from a minuscule part of the population, they have partial white or middle eastern genetics which give them more Aryan/European features. Those are the ones you see in the movies, commercials TV, etc. Probably 90% of the population are either dark brown or black looking, and not very attractive either. Basically when I was in India I felt like I was in central Black Africa except everyone had straight black hair and big noses rather then kinky hair and flat noses.

India is not the spiritual mecca of the world as locals and other spiritual gurus claim it is. Yes, in the past it was a desired place to find ones spiritual path but nowadays, like many other countries, it is not so spiritual as it makes it out to be. I believe every country will have a small, hidden minority of true spiritual masters, you don't need to go to a specific location to become enlightened. It's all within oneself. Yes, locations and individuals one meets in particular places can have a great effect on ones being. But India is not the spiritual mecca it once was and continues to claim to be. There are just as many con-men claiming to be enlightened gurus in India as there are Christian wackos in America claiming to have talked to JEsus and know when the Rapture will be. I mean there is one now saying on MAy 21st 2011 there is going to be a rapture and the chosen few are going to disappear from the Earth and there will be natural disasters and what not as Satans forces start trying to take control of the world. Google it...

I mean if you think rolling around a temple complex with your body is the path to spiritual enlightenment...I mean I literally saw some half naked dude rolling around this huge temple complex with his poor wife following him. Who knows how many times in his own mind he needs to do that for whichever "God" he has chosen to devote himself too...

And yes I understand what people say regarding how India is "rich in Spiritualism" and "poor in materialism" and many other facets of religion, spiritualism and what not. I don't feel like spending an hour writing down my thoughts when everyone has their own opinion and experiences about India and other similar countries. I am not some ignorant Western buffoon thinking he was going to go to India and find some spiritual awakening and then got hit hard to reality because it was a ces pool of filth and degradation. I was expecting that and I am totally open minded to all things. But when I got conned numerous times by supposedly spiritual people, at the temples, ect you have to wonder how enlightened a society really is when they let their own civilization live in such horrid conditions. when one has obtained spiritual realization you come to an understanding your still on the Earth physical plane of existence and being poor or being rich isn't going to bring you any closer to enlightenment, it's all an illusion anyways. So why let your fellow man and brother live in squaller? Indian society is living on its on spiritualism fumes it created thousands of years ago. The original spiritual concepts have been so diluted and distorted by man that I'm sure they hardly resemble the original saying of the enlightened masters from the past. It's no different than how the Christian Bible has been modified and distorted over the centuries to create means to an end for the church and other political leaders who wish to control the masses.

A prime modern example right now-America is living off it's own fumes that we established in the late 1800's/early 1900's. We peaked after WWII and have been in steady decline since the 1960's...

Humanity and Human existence are based on cycles people....Some are easier to spot than others depending on how long it takes to repeat themselves. This is what Astrology is based on, people doing research of similar events in the past and potentially predicting a modern similar incident. As MArk Twain once said, "History does not repeat itself, but it rhymes."

There is no linear time, that is an illusion cause we can perceive cylindrical time, life is all a god damn illusion because our brains can't perceive true reality! I mean physicists are now debating an 11 dimensional string theory. According to that we can only perceive 3 dimensions. We are all just little specks of nothing, dust in the wind like that song by KANSAS....

We humans really know nothing about how the universe truly operates and even less about our own factual human history, think about it...

ClearView
Freshman Poster

Post by ClearView »

A mate of mine just got back after 4 months in India. He said that the main reason he doesn't want to go back is that the culture isn't really hip with screwing around before marriage. His neighbor had a really hot daughter and the dad saw him checking her out grinned and said "would you like to have a talk?' - meaning let's talk you getting married to her. He politely declined.

He also said that there is so much excrement around that you literally feel like you are inhaling the stuff. On the good side he mentioned that he had a lot of Spiritual experiences but he was also doing a lot of drugs so I take that statement with a grain of salt.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

As a practical matter, India is probably one of the few countries in the world where a spiritual man can live in the forest or jungle and meditate for years in one spot without being bothered by someone. And their culture supports it. It is hard to imagine where you could do that in the US. Every spot of land is owned and controlled by someone. If you used public land, you would be eventually arrested by the park police for not having a permit or even worse committed to a mental institution.
TRADER1972
Freshman Poster

Post by TRADER1972 »

India sucks. My experience with Indians in America is that they are the worst as a group.

I will not belabor the point but INDIA is the one place due to my horrible experiences with their people,
I would NEVER even visit, even if you gave me a free ticket and paid for my hotel.

INDIA is so bad it makes staying in America look like a sane choice.

The only thing good about them is their samosas and some curries.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

MrPeabody wrote:As a practical matter, India is probably one of the few countries in the world where a spiritual man can live in the forest or jungle and meditate for years in one spot without being bothered by someone. And their culture supports it. It is hard to imagine where you could do that in the US. Every spot of land is owned and controlled by someone. If you used public land, you would be eventually arrested by the park police for not having a permit or even worse committed to a mental institution.
Well, if you really wanted to, you can legally squat in national forest land for up to 14 days in the same location. This means, after 2 weeks, you hike over yonder and squat another 2 weeks, rinse and repeat. If nobody saw you, then you could theoretically continue to camp in same location for months or years without moving. In the past this was kinda dangerous in California due to the crazy armed marijuana growers, but since legalization of medicinal use pot, the price for pot has crashed so it's less of an issue now.

We also have a um... anarchist community here in California called "Slab City". No rent, no tax, no cops... come stay as long as you like. Just don't ask the government to fix Salton Sea -- it ain't happening. ;p

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQm6CNHo ... re=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWM0kijv ... re=related[/youtube]
Last edited by momopi on April 27th, 2011, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

That chick is a massive stoner hippie chick for sure, you can tell by her voice and slow mental processing of her environment and what she is trying to articulate. I wonder if she is a free love chick too? Doesn't look too bad for an American broad, I'd do her, especially if she was all doped up, ha ha.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

That hippie chick was pretty sexy. I wonder who she was sleeping in the tent with. Even though I share a lot of her views, for some reason US hippie chicks never have any sexual chemistry with me, and I'm expected to act like I have no desires for them either. Total oppression and invalidation of my desires.

Btw Mr S, you were right that my Hungarian guests liked India. In fact, they said that it was cleaner than Angeles City was! Imagine that. How can that be, when you and Ladislav said that it's a lot filthier than Angeles City. How polluted a place is is not something subjective. So how can they say the opposite? Strange.

A lot of their views seemed a bit warped though. They also told me that nowhere in the Bible does it say that the unsaved go to hell and did not believe that Christians believed that, and were sure about it. I sure showed them later. How can some people be so wrong yet act so assured about it? It's really weird.

Some people seem like they are in another world. When we debated alternative topics vs. the official version of things, on many issues, all they could do was deny the alternative claims, without giving logical points to refute my points. It got to the point where I could not finish my list of critical points, cause they kept interrupting and wanting to make their points. But they were not able to counter my points except with denials and alternate explanations that did not fit the facts, on many issues.

I prefer debating on forums or by email, since the other person can't interrupt you while you're making your arguments. But when you debate people in person over complicated issues involving many arguments and reasons, it is difficult cause both sides tend to interrupt the other before they've completed making their points. It gets emotionally draining.

The male Hungarian guest even claimed that mainstream science had all the answers, and that if you were properly educated in science by a university, you would not believe in any alternative theories since they are not scientific. He also argued that he did not need to research any alternative subjects cause they were false and science already had all the answers. In spite of this, he believes in God. Go figure.