How to get really good at a second language (Spanish)

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
fightforlove
Junior Poster

How to get really good at a second language (Spanish)

Post by fightforlove »

For those of you who've acquired strong proficiency in a second language, what is the best way to go about this?

I studied Spanish at university, took 6 courses plus two 2-3 week trips to Spain. I just got back from another trip to Spain for 9 days, my Spanish was noticeably stronger this time as I could go further into conversations with my friends. I would say that I'm soft conversational at this point.

How can I get stronger to the point of being able to speak more confidently and go into deeper conversation topics. Right now, I have a strong vocabulary and verb conjugating skillset to have everyday conversations, but I struggle with forming grammatically proper sentences, speaking in the past/future subjective tenses, and I lack the deeper vocabulary for more specific topics, such as what I do in my job, politics, history, etc.

Would a program like Rosetta Stone help me at this point? I hear that it totally immerses you to help create more fluid speaking/listening skills. I would already know a lot of the vocab/verbs taught in the early levels, but the higher levels may help me. Any thoughts?
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Re: How to get really good at a second language (Spanish)

Post by Wolfeye »

Would like to know that myself. I tried to use that Rosetta Stone thing, but it seems more useful as a suppliment than to outright learn it from. What would always happen was I would remember things when I saw the PICTURE, but not the real thing. That said, it is pretty useful to be able to practice the pronunciation & have some idea of if you're saying it right, to be able to practice reading the written language, and to be able to practice typing it.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I'm in Barcelona now. I think it would be a terrible place to learn Spanish given how so many locals speak Catalan, and many bars only have Catalan menus.

But the total immersion you get from living in a foreign country is the best way to learn a language, like I did when I lived in China and (to a lesser extent) Thailand.

I'm gradually learning Spatalan (or whatever it is I'm picking up!) but I'm not making an active effort to learn it, as I don't think I'll be staying here. I expand my vocabulary by Googling any new words I come across. So many words are similar to English/Latin/French but you do have to be wary of false friends.

There are lots of people learning Spanish in my language school (including quite a few Chinese) and they get good by using every possible chance to practice speaking to locals.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 28th, 2020, 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Ghost wrote:
I recently went to Nicaragua for a month
Yes and may I say I really enjoyed the trip report that you so thoughtfully provided.

oh - waitaminnit
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
tamdrin12
Freshman Poster

Post by tamdrin12 »

The number one way to learn a language is to get a girlfriend who doesn't really speak English. This is a fun and enjoyable/educational way to learn a language.. I am doing it with a Thai girl right now.
Been living abroad for 4 years now. India, Nepal, Taiwan, and Thailand. Currently in Thailand teaching English as my bread and butter.

Check out my online store featuring cool jewelry and items at very reasonable prices from Thailand!

http://thailand-treasures.myshopify.com/collections/all
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

tamdrin12 wrote:I am doing it with a Thai girl right now.
Quick, take pictures!!!
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

I am not all the best at Spanish, but Pimsleurs has helped me a lot. Rossetta Stone is soso.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
fightforlove
Junior Poster

Post by fightforlove »

zacb wrote:I am not all the best at Spanish, but Pimsleurs has helped me a lot. Rossetta Stone is soso.
I've heard good things about Pimsleurs, how does it differ from RS? I actually have some Online Lingo disks in Spanish that someone pawned off to me, but haven't checked them out yet.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Johnny1975 wrote:
tamdrin12 wrote:I am doing it with a Thai girl right now.
Quick, take pictures!!!

:lol:

you HOUND!
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

fightforlove wrote:
zacb wrote:someone pawned off to me,
What you do in the bedroom is none of our business. This is a family forum! We'll have none of that, you hear!
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 28th, 2020, 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Ghost wrote:
Well, I thought about it. Actually, not planning to go back and it is already getting spoiled by gringos, so...that might actually be one good reason to write a trip report. ;)
:lol:
Well, okay then, Captain Selfish, fire away!
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 28th, 2020, 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

Belize in the Carribean, it's a real affordable place to live, plus it's national language is English but 50% of the natives Mestizo, Latino, or Hispanic so alot of them speak Spanish as a native language or are bi-lingual. I think it's one of the best places to learn spanish on a dime.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -