Ocean Swimming

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Ocean Swimming

Post by Jester »

Where are there swimmable beaches without police?

I mean sandy bottom, swimmable barefoot, with not many rocks or spiny urchins or whatever. And clean water.

Why do I ask?

I got "pulled over" by a police boat this morning for swimming too far out.

First time it has happened here in Mexico. They were more polite than in the USA (of course), and thankfully there was no helicopter here. And no megaphone.

But still, I am disappointed that it happened. There are no lifeguards here, so I really thought no one cared. In fact it may have been a nosy gringo tourist who called them, but still, it kind of spoils things a bit.

Imagine you are climbing a mountain. Huffing and puffing, you stop to rest. You look around at the birds, think how good God's universe is.

Just then, a helicopter hovers abruptly overhead. Someone shouts through a megaphone. Special forces commandos descend effortlessly from ropes. They want to give you a ride down.

"You might get hurt", they say.

"Why the f**k did you think makes mountain climbing fun, shithead. Go away and leave me alone!", you want to answer.

That's how this feels.

You swim to get away, to feel free. Then here comes the Nanny State's apparatus to "rescue" you, like "Rover" in the old TV series, The Prisoner.

(start at 2:26)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tra3Zi5ZWa0
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Re: Ocean Swimming

Post by eurobrat »

Jester wrote:Where are there swimmable beaches without police?

I mean sandy bottom, swimmable barefoot, with not many rocks or spiny urchins or whatever. And clean water.

Why do I ask?

I got "pulled over" by a police boat this morning for swimming too far out.

First time it has happened here in Mexico. They were more polite than in the USA (of course), and thankfully there was no helicopter here. And no megaphone.

But still, I am disappointed that it happened. There are no lifeguards here, so I really thought no one cared. In fact it may have been a nosy gringo tourist who called them, but still, it kind of spoils things a bit.

Imagine you are climbing a mountain. Huffing and puffing, you stop to rest. You look around at the birds, think how good God's universe is.

Just then, a helicopter hovers abruptly overhead. Someone shouts through a megaphone. Special forces commandos descend effortlessly from ropes. They want to give you a ride down.

"You might get hurt", they say.

"Why the f**k did you think makes mountain climbing fun, shithead. Go away and leave me alone!", you want to answer.

That's how this feels.

You swim to get away, to feel free. Then here comes the Nanny State's apparatus to "rescue" you, like "Rover" in the old TV series, The Prisoner.

(start at 2:26)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tra3Zi5ZWa0
Honestly dude, I don't think you should be swimming around in the Baja. And you should be lucky the Mexican coastguard came to talk to you and not a great white.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

What would they have said to a great white?

:wink:
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 24th, 2016, 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

I once saw a large seal lying on the beach while walking on a beach in Baja and told some Mexican guards about it. They said don't worry, they sometimes come onto the beach because they are escaping from sharks, and they can get back into the water by themselves.